Friday, April 23, 2010

Jarring Consequences

A big dumpster rolled into the newsroom this week to encourage spring cleaning. I don't believe we've dumped anything since we moved into Ryan Ranch almost 20 years ago, so we've uncovered some incredibly historical items, a whole bunch of useless items — and at least two dozen unused staplers.

Digging through the stuff in my office, I found my favorite correction ever written in a file of oddball journalistic screw-ups I've collected. I didn't date the thing, unfortunately, but it's from an edition of the Watsonville Register-Pajaronian more than 25 years ago. This is how it reads:

"In a news story yesterday, the telephone number for Davis Memorial Chapel was inadvertently listed as the number to call for further information on a class to familiarize prospective patients with surgical procedures. The Register-Pajaronian regrets the jarring consequences that may have occurred due to this typographical error and hastens to inform readers that the correct number to call is 724-4741, ext. 255."

No comments:

Post a Comment