Friday, April 24, 2009

Fun and Kooky Facts About The Herald, Past and Present

In no particular order:

1. The first banner headline in The Herald (then known as The Peninsula Daily Herald) in June 1924 read: “Great Whiskey Haul.”

2. Sports writer Kevin Merfeld chased a squirrel out of the snack lounge the other day.

3. Edward Kennedy, the editor of the paper until his death in 1963, is best known as the man who gave the world an extra day of peace after he broke the embargo on the German surrender at the end of World War II. He was an AP reporter covering the war at the time, but lost his job and was all but blackballed in journalism for breaking the embargo.

4. Ted Durein, who was editor of the paper for a time, is credited with bringing the Crosby Pro-Am Golf Tournament to the Monterey Peninsula while he was sports editor.

5. I can think of at least three couples who married after meeting in The Herald's newsroom.

6. The Herald's founder, Allen Griffin, commanded Company F, 364th Infantry Division, during World War I. He rejoined the Army during World War II and participated in the war in Normandy, Brittany and Belgium.

7. There's a King James' version of the Bible published in 1936 in the newsroom morgue. There's also a French-English dictionary that doesn't seem to have been used since 1936.

8. The Herald published a couple of editions from the King City Rustler’s office in the days immediately after the Loma Prieta Earthquake of 1989.

9. One of The Herald's former interns, Clara Moskowitz, appeared on the ABC News Now program earlier this week to talk about a story she wrote for Live Science that describes studies indicating that prove people who smile a lot seem to have better marriages.

10. You can find sportswriter Dave Coffin’s byline in copies of The Herald dating back to 1968.

11. John Steinbeck occasionally wrote articles exclusively for The Herald.

12. The Herald won a Pulitzer Prize in 1992 for a photo essay produced by John Kaplan shared by The Herald and The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

13. Not a day goes by when someone doesn't mention "Fresno" in the newsroom.

14. While working for The Herald, I got the chance to attend a Papal Mass and meet the Prince of Luxembourg in consecutive days in 1987.

15. The Herald office was located on the corner of Pacific and Jefferson for more than 30 years. It was easier to get to a restaurant for lunch back then.

16. Nowadays, a lunch truck pulls into The Herald parking lot each day around 12:30 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. Press release

    George J. Bleich
    3080 Strawberry Hill Rd.
    Pebble Beach, Ca. 93953
    831. 372. 2717
    gjbleich@comcast.net

    Chase took over WAMU, Than Chase took my money. What happened to a 73 year old senior depositor at Chase.

    An extended period of health problems relating to improper hospital care rendered me unable to work. I fell behind in my Bills, My home was in foreclosure, I like a great number of other people in financial distress established a priority of maintaining necessities as to what bills would be paid first. Medical , food , utilities and saving money for mortgage payments. It is my intent to take care of all my debts, Physically and up beat spirit wise I am growing stronger and am up to any task and challenge. Younger people should learn the lesson of putting their trust in God and never giving up. The suicides and murders that some people have been driven to these economically troubled times should never happen!

    I felt the money that I saved in WAMU which is now Chase Bank was mine to make decisions on allocations and use. I depended on, my Social security my primary source of income, to tide me over. I have just really begun to recover my health.

    May Ist, 2009 I went in transfer funds and and make a withdrawal. I went to transfer my Social Security Payment from the account it is deposited into the account that i use to pay bills etc. I was told the check came in but I had no money in my account,

    They called this a pledge amount, I call it questionably legal unethical reverse bank robbery.

    They gave me two form one they took $1812.40 That was my social security plus a few dollar in the account I was informed that the deposit payment came from Social Security arrived but the bank commandeered it for a debt I owed Chase Credit card long before they took over WAMU.

    It totaled $ 5,985.55. They just took it and called it pledges.

    We are in dire need of changes in Credit cards and the abuses they heap on the public. it is all about greed. This is aspect of an abuse that can be promoted legally by paid bank lobbyist and raises questions of who do our political representative represent when they allow banks and credit card companies to entice and then abuse credit card users.
    I will do my banking with Bank of the West in the future.

    They have an excellent program of rewarding new depositors with a hundred dollars to spend locally to stimulate the local economy. Chase is doing the opposite. There are other fine reliable West Coast Banks you should consider who will treat you far better than my sorry experience with Chase Credit Card and Bank. I do not care where you live but you will be treated differently by Local Banks even on a state wide basis then the larger hard nosed conglomerates. Chase may staff a bank with locals but they rule over them from afar and do what they want.

    it is no wonder why America is in such a sad state of economic chaos. The Greed and legal corruption of some in our financial system, Banks, Credit Card cartels, Loan Companies played a role in creating. The dire effects of that greed virus is being felt around the world. The effects are more insidiously dangerous than the swine flu. It raises the misery index and all ready have cost more death by suicide and rising violence. .

    Credit Card and loan Companies including Chase were unethical reverse Robin Hoods, legal loan sharks in a feeding frenzy that contributed to our economic meltdown.

    They act more like Remora shark suckers living off the remains of the kill they helped happened. Now some take from those in financial distress that they helped create with come on entrapment of no interest accounts, than line their own coffers with high interests rates after being late one time. Ruthless power and abuse will always fall.

    This Chase debt occurred long before Chase took over WAMU then removed my Social Security deposit from one account and all the money I had in another account at their bank.

    I belatedly learned a painful lesson of just how vulnerable a depositor can be at Chase. Take care, Beware of the unchaste Chase machine. Find a Good Local Main Street Bank you can Trust!. God Bless and help you all do what is right. Live by the Golden Rule and the Two commands of Christ.G.J.B.

    There is an interesting potential story on my site dealing with my foreclouse scheduled for foreclosure Dec. 24. The loan has just been modifyed thanks to Government programs initiated by Obama, Hope was the one for me who never gave up hope.
    www.bleich4art.com, under why I am a happy man life events 2009, interesting positive pictures and a good new story. might give others Hope. when they need it. www.bleich4art.com

    ReplyDelete